Loma Linda University's Department of Social Work and Social Ecology is proud to introduce to you the Phi Alpha Honor Society. Phi Alpha is an American honor society for professional social work students enrolled in programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The organization is a member of the national Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS). We have chosen to call our chapter Iota Pi.
The purpose of the Phi Alpha Honor Society is to provide a closer bond among social work students and to promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in academic achievement in social work.
Benefits of Phi Alpha Membership
- Becoming a member of a nationally recognized organization that supports high standards in professional social work education;
- Participation in scholarly activities and social action events;
- Identification on your professional resume as a Phi Alpha Honor Society member, which acknowledges your commitment to academic excellence, social action engagement, and professional success;
- Working alongside student colleagues and professors to create a scholarly and socially-conscious learning environment;
- Being recognized with a certificate and honor cord at an induction ceremony prior to graduation;
- Access to Listservs to allow networking with Phi Alpha members across the country.
Initial Membership Requirements
- Completion of 13 units of graduate level course work in Social Work at Loma Linda University;
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 (based on a 4.0 scale);
- Participation in at least 2 community service projects sponsored by Phi Alpha;
- Attendance in at least 2 Wholeness Hour meetings. (Community Service and Wholeness Hour requirements must be completed no earlier than the quarter prior to induction. Students who have a documented scheduling conflict with Wholeness Hour meetings may contact the Phi Alpha President for an Exception Request form.)
Existing Membership Requirements
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 (based on a 4.0 scale);
- Participation in at least 2 community service projects per quarter, either sponsored by Phi Alpha or outside event approved by Phi Alpha;
- Attendance in at least 2 Wholeness Hour meetings per quarter. (At least one Wholeness Hour meeting must be completed in person.)
- A lifetime membership fee of $35 (required by the National Society);
- An initiation fee of $10 required by the Iota Pi chapter. (Iota Pi may levy additional fees as deemed necessary and approved by the executive committee.)
Through Knowledge—The Challenge is to Serve