"Through Knowledge - The Challenge is to Serve"
Loma Linda University’s Department of Social Work and Social Ecology is proud to introduce Phi Alpha Honor Society for Social Work. Our local chapter name is Iota Pi. We have chosen to call this society Phi Alpha, which means “love of humanity,” and we have adopted the colors blue and gold.
The purpose of the Phi Alpha Honor Society is to provide a closer bond among students of social work and to promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
Benefits of Phi Alpha Membership
- Becoming a member of a nationally recognized organization that supports high standards in social work education;
- Participation in scholarly activities and social action events;
- Identification on your resume or vitae as a Phi Alpha Honor Society member, which adds acknowledgement of your academic excellence and opens doors to professional success;
- Working alongside student colleagues and professors to create a scholarly environment;
- Individual scholarship opportunities;
- Poster board presentation involvement at the Council on Social Work Education National Conference, with monetary recognition;
- Being honored with a certificate and honor cord at an induction ceremony prior to graduation;
- Chapter service award participation with monetary recognition;
- Potential recognition listed in The New Social Worker Magazine;
- Access to LISTSERVs to allow networking with Phi Alpha members across the country.
Initial Membership Requirements
- Completion of 13 units of graduate level course work in Social Work at Loma Linda University;
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 (based on a 4.0 scale);
- Participation in at least 2 community service projects sponsored by Phi Alpha;
- Attendance in at least 2 Wholeness Hour meetings. (Community Service and Wholeness Hour requirements must be completed no earlier than the quarter prior to induction. Students who have a documented scheduling conflict with Wholeness Hour meetings may contact the Phi Alpha President for an Exception Request form.)
Existing Membership Requirements (including graduation with Phi Alpha honors)
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 (based on a 4.0 scale);
- Participation in at least 2 community service projects per quarter, either sponsored by Phi Alpha or outside event approved by Phi Alpha;
- Attendance in at least 2 Wholeness Hour meetings per quarter. (At least one Wholeness Hour meeting must be completed in person.)
- A lifetime membership fee of $30 (required by the National Society);
- An initiation fee of $10 required by the Iota Pi chapter. (Iota Pi may levy additional fees as deemed necessary and approved by the executive committee.)
Read more and download the application (Word).