Certificate Programs | School of Behavioral Health | Loma Linda University

Request Information

Drug and Alcohol Counseling


The objectives of the Drug and Alcohol Counseling Program certificate are to:

  • Prepare master's degree and doctoral-level professionals to effectively counsel substance abusing and addicted adults and their families.
  • Offer curriculum and experience for master's and doctoral level professionals that meet the requirements for certification by national certification organizations.
  • Integrate certificate requirements into the existing MFAM curriculum.
  • Allow hours of experience to be accrued concurrently to meet BBS, AAMFT, and other certifying organization requirements.


Applicants must meet the School of Behavioral Health admission requirements outlined in the University Catalog and give evidence of academic ability, professional comportment and mature judgment. As with all certificates, applicants must first reapply to the University according to the established process. The certificate program is open to currently enrolled CFS students or other master's degree level students or graduates. Students in the MFAM program must first complete the current core MFAM curriculum. Candidates will be screened for appropriateness to complete the certificate program and for ability to work with addicted adults and their families. Additional admission requirements include:

  • An application stating how the applicant will integrate the substance-abuse certificate into work as a marriage and family therapist or other clinical professional, and how the applicant will contribute to their profession and the addiction-treatment field by completing the certificate.
  • Two letters of reference are required.
  • An interview by the coordinator is required.
  • The critical-essay test (if not already taken) administered by LLU is required.
  • And a writing course is required if the student does not pass the essay examination.

Program Curriculum

For further details and additional information about the Drug and Alcohol Certificate, please contact the program director, Randall Walker, MS, LMFT, at rrwalker@llu.edu or 909-558-9568.

Apply Here

School Counseling

The School Counseling Certificate program is designed to meet standards for the California Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Counseling and is accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The PPS requirements are embedded for students enrolled in the Counseling MS program. Students also have the option of obtaining the certificate in conjunction with the Marital and Family Therapy degree. This requires the completion of an additional 27 academic units and 8 additional units of field experience. Professional school counseling has broadened in California recently to include more licensed mental health counselors such as Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCCs) and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFTs) providing therapy to children and adolescents in school environments.

Admission Requirements

The School Counseling Certificate is open only to currently enrolled CFS students in good standing or recent CFS graduates whose degree requirements were congruent with current state standards for school counseling. As with all certificates, applicants must first apply to the university and meet the School of Behavioral Health admissions requirements. Additional admission requirements for candidates currently enrolled in the department are listed below.

  • An application stating the reasons and goals for pursuing professional school counseling.
  • Two letters of recommendation, which may be submitted by current CFS faculty or supervisors.
  • An interview with a faculty member.
  • Background check (clearance) by the DOJ and FBI prior to field placement.

Certificate Completion Requirements

Requirements for the certificate are delineated in the University Catalog and include successful completion of the following:

  • Academic coursework and field seminars related to professional school counseling.
  • Field experience in public education at two different school grade levels.
  • California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) to be taken before or during the program.

Program Curriculum

For additional information about the School Counseling certificate, contact the interim program director Randall Walker, MS, LMFT, at rrwalker@llu.edu or 909-558-4547, ext. 39568.

Apply Here Questions? Message us!