Associate Professor, Psychology
Department of Psychology
Loma Linda University, Central Building, Apt. 3
11130 Anderson St., Loma Linda, CA 92350
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Psychology - University of Indiana, Bloomington, 2006
Areas of Specialization
- Serious mental illness (focus on schizophrenia and bipolar disorder)
- Clinical neuropsychology
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Resiliency, self-efficacy, overall health, and well-being in serious mental illness
Licenses and Professional Memberships
- Registered Clinical Psychologist (British Columbia, Canada)
- Society for Psychophysiological Research
- Society for Research in Psychopathology
- Canadian Psychological Association
- EEG and Clinical Neuroscience Society
- Brooks, G.A., Brenner, C.A. (2018). Is there a common vulnerability in cannabis phenomenology and schizotypy? The role of the N170 ERP. Schizophrenia Research, 197; 444-450.
- Farzan, F., Atluri, S., Frehlich, M. Dhami, P., Kleffner, K., Price, R., Lam, R.W., Frey, B.N., Milev, R., Ravindran, A., McAndrews, M.P., Wong, W., Blumberger, D., Daskalakis, Z.J., Vila-Rodriguez, F., Alonso, E., Brenner, C.A., Liotti, M., Dharsee, M., Arnott, S.R., Evans, K.R., Rotzinger, S., Kennedy, S.H. (2017). Standardization of Electroencephalography for Multi-Site, Multi-Platform and Multi-Investigator Studies: Insights from the Canadian Biomarker Integration Network in Depression. Scientific Reports, 7(1); 7473.
- Lam, R. W., Milev, R., Rotzinger, S., Andreazza, A. C., Blier, P., Brenner, C., … Kennedy, S. H. Discovering biomarkers for antidepressant response: Protocol from the Canadian Biomarker Integration Network in Depression (CAN-BIND) and clinical characteristics of the first patient cohort. BMC Psychiatry, 16, 105.
- Brenner, C.A., Rumak, S.P., *Burns, A.M.N. (2016). Facial Emotion Memory in Schizophrenia: From Encoding to Maintenance-related EEG. Clinical Neurophysiology, 127, 1366-73.
- Zhang, L., Brenner, C.A. (2016). The Factor Structure of the Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire in Undergraduate and Community Samples. Journal of Personality Disorders, 4:1-15.
- Kam, J.W.Y., Brenner, C.A., Handy, T.C., Boyd, L.A., Liu-Ambrose, T., Lim, H.J., Hayden, S., Campbell, K. (2015). Sustained attention abnormalities in breast cancer survivors with cancer-associated cognitive deficits post chemotherapy: an electrophysiological study. Clinical Neurophysiology, S1388-2457(15) 172-8.
- Schultz, K., Tham, J., Chan, P., Brenner, C., Northcott, C., Villa-Rodriguez, F. (2015). Occurrence of Postictal Alpha Activity During Maintenance Course Electroconvulsive Therapy. Journal of ECT, 31(4) 211-2.
- Dominelli, R., Hetrick, W.P., O'Donnell, B.F. Brenner, C.A., (2014). Affect Modulated Startle in Schizophrenia: the role of Subjective Valence Ratings. Psychiatry Research, 220, 44-50.
- Brenner, C.A., Rumak, S.P., Burns, A.M.N., Kieffaber, P. (2014). The Role of Encoding and Attention in Facial Emotion Memory: An EEG Investigation. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 93, 398-410.
- O'Bryan, R.A., Brenner, C.A., Hetrick, W.P., O'Donnell, B.F. (2014). Disturbances of Visual Motion Perception in Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorders, 16, 354-65.
- Burns, A, Brenner, C.A., Erikson, D. (2014). Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Medication-Resistant Psychosis: A Meta-Analytic Review. Psychiatric Services, 65, 874-80.
- Kam, J. W. Y., Bolbecker, A. R., O’Donnell, B. F., Hetrick, W. P., & Brenner, C. A. (2013). Resting EEG Power and coherence abnormalities in bipolar and schizophrenia. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 47, 1893-901.
- Kolahi, Y., Sanders, K., Brenner, C.A. (April 2018). The Relationship Between Resting EEG and Cognition in Schizophrenia. Presented at the 98th Annual Meeting for the Western Psychological Association; Portland (refereed abstract).
- Brenner, C.A. (April 2018) Is There a Common Vulnerability in Cannabis Phenomenology and Schizotypy? The Role of the N170 ERP. Presented at the Western Psychological Association conference, Portland, Oregon.
- Nguyen, A.N., Hetrick, W.P., O’Donnell, B.F., Brenner, C.A. (April 2017). Abnormal Beta and Gamma Frequency Neural Oscillations Mediate Sensory Gating Deficit in Schizophrenia. Presented at the 97th Annual Meeting for the Western Psychological Association; Sacramento (refereed abstract).
- Sanders, K.M., Bell, J., Kohali, Y., Hetrick, W.P., O’Donnell, B.F., Brenner, C.A. (April 2017). Demographic Differences in Resting State EEG in Healthy Controls and Patients with Schizophrenia. Presented at the 97th Annual Meeting for the Western Psychological Association; Sacramento (refereed abstract).
- Igirio, K.A., Brenner, C.A. (April 2017). The Relationship Between Cannabis Experience, Schizotypy, and Social Functioning. Presented at the 97th Annual Meeting for the Western Psychological Association; Sacramento (refereed abstract).
- Kolahi, Y., O’Donnell, B.F., Hetrick, W.P., Brenner, C.A. (April 2017).Schizophrenia Diagnosis and Education Level as Predictors of WAIS-III Performance. Presented at the 97th Annual Meeting for the Western Psychological Association; Sacramento (refereed abstract).