- Now accepting applications for Fall 2023! Apply by 2/15/23.
- All application fees currently waived.
- The online MSW program option is for California residents only. Courses use a combined synchronous and asynchronous format. Practicum requirements are completed at minimum of one weekday each week in-person at approved sites (within 75 miles of student's residence).
The Loma Linda University MSW 3-Year Part-Time Online program emphasizes the biopsychosocial-spiritual approach to advanced clinical social work practice in behavioral health institutions and agencies. Students gain expertise in cutting-edge and evidence-based trauma- and resiliency-informed interventions that support prevention, early intervention, diagnosis, and treatment of children, adolescents, and adults. Experiential learning through Loma Linda University Health's internationally recognized health system and specialized community agencies provide students with advanced learning opportunities in integrated behavioral health, inpatient care, and global practice settings.
A whole-person care approach is utilized to promote wellness for individuals and families. The program is based on the institutional and professional values of compassion, integrity, excellence, freedom, and justice.
The Loma Linda University MSW program is specifically designed to provide you with:
- a meaningful career as a clinical social worker;
- required courses needed for LCSW licensure;
- preparation for advanced community and global practice within a diversity of behavioral health settings; and
- preparation for clinical and administrative leadership in behavioral health.
3-Year Part-Time Online Program Information:
- 78 quarter units (equivalent to 52 semester units)
- Same curriculum and core faculty as all other Loma Linda University MSW program options (see curriculum guides)
- 1080 hours of practicum, including one year of generalist practice and one year of advanced clinical practice in a modified format to meet the needs of working individuals
- Courses taught in an online format with class attendance on Wednesdays from 5:30-9:30 PM, and practicum occurring one weekday per week
- Program cost, including a $12,500 scholarship for qualified students, available here*
- Work-study available to qualified students in the amount of $18,000
- Specialization in clinical practice
- Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
*When comparing programs, it is important to consider all costs, as many programs only post tuition costs without the associated fees.
Play Therapy or Drug & Alcohol Counseling Certificate
Students entering the MSW degree program within the Department of Social Work and Social Ecology in academic year 2021-2022 who are interested in obtaining certification in Play Therapy or Drug and Alcohol Counseling will receive a tuition waiver for the certificate program of their choice. Students interested in the Drug and Alcohol Counseling certificate are required to enroll in elective courses specified by their academic advisor. Tuition waivers do not apply to any units used to support the student's primary degree program.
Being a part of the Master of Social Work program at Loma Linda University has taught me the true meaning of advocacy and the value of healing the brokenhearted. I have had the opportunity to learn from some of the most prestigious educators in the field of social work. The curriculum is infused with a clinical approach that effectively influences social change and helps restore hope to the hopeless.