Interim Chair, Department of Counseling and Family Sciences
Assistant Professor, Counseling and Family Sciences
Director, Child Life Specialist MS Program
Department of Counseling and Family Sciences
Loma Linda University, Griggs Hall, Office 112
11065 Campus St., Loma Linda, CA 92350
Degrees and Certifications
- MS, Child Development/Child Life - University of La Verne, 1995
- Certificate, National Bereavement Facilitator II - American Academy of Bereavement, 2000
- Certificate, Child Life Specialist - Association of Child Life Professionals, 1999
Areas of Specialization
- Child development
- Stress and coping in the hospital environment
- Grief and loss
- Program development
- Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP)
- Awards Committee (member and Chair-Elect in 2023) (2021-present): Present the ACLP Board of Directors with the recommended winner for the Distinguished Service Award and the Mary Barkey Clinical Excellence Award.
- Mentorship Program (mentor) (2020-2019): Participated in a formal mentorship program, allowing for mentors to be identified and partnered with mentees.
- Graduate Accreditation Task Force (Co-chair) (2013-2019): Facilitate and lead initiatives for future accreditation of graduate programs in the United States and Canada.
- Students and Emerging Professionals Committee (member) (2017-2018): Creating a strategic, coordinated, and collaborative relationship among other task force leaders and key stakeholders to discuss student issues.
- The Child Life Certifying Committee (member) (2007-2016): Committee was established to initiate, evaluate, maintain and oversee the CCLS credentialing program. Positions held: Item writer, reviewer, exam assembler and ethics committee member for the Child Life professional certification examination.
- Member of the Education and Training Committee (member) (2008-2012): To promote the quality and consistency of academic and clinical preparation programs.
- Conference Planning Committee, San Diego Conference (member) (2009): Plan and implement the Annual Child Life Conference.
- Association for Play Therapy (APT)
- March 2021. The Future of Behavioral Health through a Post-COVID Lens. Panel member. Loma Linda University Health, LLUH Virtual Homecoming 2021. Loma Linda, CA.
- July 2020. Student Interns and Internships during COVID. Panel member. Western States Child Life Symposium, Miller Children's and Women's Hospital. Long Beach, CA.
- August 2018. Therapeutic Play for the Hospitalized Child. The Children’s Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine Hangzhou, China Nursing Department.
- August 2018. Therapeutic Play for the Hospitalized Child. Women and Children’s Healthcare Hospital Quzhou, China Health Care Conference.
- Your Village: ASD Support Group-Supervisor (2022)
- Parent Teacher Group, The Grove School (2022)
- Child Life IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Awareness) Group-Supervisor (2020-present)
- Pediatric Brain and Spine Tumor Support Group (2018-present)
- Volunteer PTA member at Kimberly Elementary (2013-present)
- Parent-Teacher Association (2012-2019)
- Co-leader of Girl Scout Troop (2013-2018)