Professor, Counseling and Family Sciences
Department of Counseling and Family Sciences
Loma Linda University, Griggs Hall, Office 207
11065 Campus St., Loma Linda, CA 92350
- PhD, Medical Family Therapy - East Carolina University, 2011
- MS, Marriage Family Therapy - Seattle Pacific University, 2005
Areas of Specialization
- Medical family therapy
- Adult and pediatric illness
- Palliative and hospice care
- Qualitative research
- Narrative therapy
- Spirituality and meaning-making
- Women's professional development in academia
Professional Licenses and Memberships
- Licensed Marital and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor
- Collaborative Family Health Care Association (CFHA)
- 2021. Lamson, A., Hodgson, J., Pratt, K., Mendenhall, T. Wong, A., Sesemann, E., Brown, B., Taylor, E., Williams-Reade, J., Blocker, D., Harsh Caspari, J., Zubatsky, M., Martin, M., (2022). Couple and family interventions for high mortality health conditions: A strategic review (2010–2019), Journal of Marital and Family Therapy.
- 2020. Zubatsky, M. and Williams-Reade, J. (Eds.). Self of the Therapist in Medical Settings: A Sociocultural and Systemic Perspective. Springer.
- 2020. Williams-Reade, J. Collaborating with Physicians. In Grauf-Grounds, C., Schermer Sellers, T., Edwards, S., Cheon, H., MacDonald, D. & Whitney, S. (Eds.) A Practice Beyond Cultural Humility: How clinicians can work more effectively in a diverse world. Routledge.
- 2020. Williams-Reade, J. Tapanes, D., Distelberg, B., & Montgomery, S. "Pediatric Chronic Illness Management: A Qualitative Dyadic Analysis of Adolescent Patient and Parent Illness Narratives." Journal of Martial and Family Therapy, doi: 10.1111/jmft.12377.
- 2019. Williams-Reade, J., Lobo, E., & Gutierrez, G. "Integrating Spirituality into MFT Training: A Reflexive Curriculum and Qualitative Evaluation." Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, doi: 10.1111/jmft.12314.
- 2018. Williams-Reade, J., Lobo, E., Whittemore, A., Parra, L., & Baerg, J. "Enhancing Residents' Compassionate Communication to Family Members: A Family Systems Breaking Bad News Simulation." Families, Systems, & Health, 36(4), 523-527. doi: 10.1037/fsh0000331.
- 2018. Williams-Reade, J. and Trudeau, S. (2018). Medical Family Therapy in Palliative and Hospice Care. In T. Mendenhall, A. Lamson, & J. Hodgson (Eds.), Clinical Methods in Medical Family Therapy. Springer.
- 2018. Distelberg, B., Tapanes, D., Emerson, ND., Brown, WN., Vaswani, D., Williams-Reade, J., Anspikian, A. & Montgomery, S. (2018). Prospective Pilot Study of the MEND Psychosocial Family Systems Program for Pediatric Chronic Illness. Family Process doi: 10.1111/famp.12288.
- 2018. Hodgson, J., Mendenhall, A., Lamson, A., Baird, M. & Williams-Reade, J. (2018). Innovations in MedFT: Pioneering New Frontiers! In Mendenhall, T., Lamson, A., Hodgson, J., & Baird, M. (Eds.), Clinical Methods in Medical Family Therapy. Springer.
- 2022. American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. "JMFT Decade in Review: Live Discussion." Facebook Live Event. Moderators: Wittenborn, A. and Holtrop, K. Panelists: Dwanyen, L., Williams Reade, J., Taylor, E.S., Kelly, L., and Wittenborn, A.
- 2021. American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Systemic Family Therapy Conference. Lamson, A, Hodgson, J. Pratt, K., Mendenhall, T., Wong, A., Sesemann, E., Brown, B., Taylor, E., Williams-Reade, J., Blocker, D., Caspari, J., Zubatsky, M., & Martin, M. "Until Death do We Part: Couple and Family Interventions for High Mortality Health Conditions."
- 2021. National Council on Family Relations Annual Conference. Hsieh, N., Cafferky, B., Williams-Reade, J., Ing, K., ChenFeng, J., Lister, Z. "Bicultural Identity Negotiation and Shame Resilience in Chinese-Americans."
- 2020. American Association of Marital and Family Therapy Annual Conference. Williams-Reade, J., Caspari, J., George, D., & Mendenhall, T. "Family Therapists in Healthcare: Family Therapy in the Time of Coronavirus: A Panel Discussion."
- 2020. NVivo Virtual Conference, QSR International (Americas) Inc. Williams-Reade, J. "Parent-Child Illness Narratives: A Dyadic Grounded Theory Analysis."
- 2020. The Qualitative Report Annual Conference, Plantation, FL. Williams-Reade, J. "Parent-Child Illness Narratives: A Dyadic Grounded Theory Analysis."
- 2020. School of Behavioral Health Spirituality Integration Lunch, Loma Linda, CA. Williams-Reade, J. "Integrating Spirituality into the Classroom: Creating a Safe and Brave Space for Personal and Professional Growth."
- 2019. Family Therapists in Healthcare Interest Network Webinar, American Association of Marital and Family Therapy. Williams-Reade, J., Lamson, A., Roberts, K., Mendenhall, T. "All Aboard the Family Therapists in Healthcare Train: Get on Track, Stay on Track!"
- 2018. American Association of Marital and Family Therapy (AAMFT), Louisville, KY.
- Mendenhall, T., Tyndall, L., Williams-Reade, J., Hodgson, J., Lamson, A., & Trudeau, S. Clinical and Supervisory Competencies for MFTs in Healthcare.
- Lamson, A., Hodgson, J., Mendenhall, T., Tyndall, L., Williams-Reade, J., and Trudeau, S. MFTs in Healthcare: Conveying Your Competence.
- Hodgson, J., Lamson, A., Mendenhall, T., Tyndall, L., Williams-Reade, J., and Trudeau, S. Healthcare Management and Scholarship Competencies for MFTs.
- Founding Chair of Family Therapists in Healthcare Topic Interest Network for American Association of Marital and Family Therapy (2018-present)
- Board Member, AAMFT-CA Division Board of Directors (2017-2018)
- Medical Family Therapy Consortium (2017-present)