Assistant Professor, Counseling and Family Sciences
Director of Clinical Training, Child Life Specialist MS Program
Department of Counseling Family Sciences
Loma Linda University, Griggs Hall, Office 225
11065 Campus St., Loma Linda, CA 92350
Degrees and Certifications
- MA, Psychology (emphasis in Child Development) - California State University, San Bernardino, 2009
- Certificate, National Bereavement Facilitator I - American Academy of Bereavement, 2003
- Certificate, Child Life Specialist - Child Life Council, 2000
Areas of Specialization
- Child development
- Stress and coping in the hospital environment
- Grief and loss
- Clinical training and supervision
Professional Memberships and Licenses
- Association of Child Life Professionals
- Minyard-Widmann, M., Saavedra, A., Cafferky, B. "Supervision Tool for the Child Life Specialist." Association of Child Life Professionals 35th Annual Conference. Las Vegas, NV. May 2017.
- Minyard-Widmann, M., Saavedra, A. (2016, April). "Child Life in China: A Partnership with The Children's Hospital at Zhejiang University." Grand Rounds, BHi Shares, Loma Linda, CA.
- The Children's Hospital, Zhejiang University, China.
- November 2014. Minyard-Widmann, M., Saavedra, A., Camp C., Garcia, A., Kim-Arredondo, A., Macaluso, A. "Therapeutic Play and Literature Review."
- March 2014. Minyard-Widmann, M., Saavedra, A. "Pediatric Pain and Psychosocial Interventions."
- March 2014. Minyard-Widmann, M., Saavedra, A. "Medical Play in the Hospital Environment."
- March 2014. Minyard-Widmann, M., Saavedra, A. "What is Child Life: Brief Overview of the Field."
- Saavedra, A. "Child Life: Jack-of-all-Trades." University of California, Irvine Child Life Intern Symposium. Irvine, CA. September 2013.
- Internship Accreditation Reviewer for the Association of Child Life Professionals (2016-present)
- Faculty Liaison for CFS Student Advisory Committee (2015-present)
- Annual Teddy Bear Clinic, Redlands, CA (2012-present)
- Annual LLU Child Life Symposium, Co-Host, Loma Linda University (2011-present)
- Cal State University, San Bernardino, Course HD 303, Guest Lecture: "What is Child Life?" (2008-present)
- Camp Good Grief, support staff/counselor/clinical supervisor (2001-present)
- Annual Children's Day Staff/Clinical Supervisor, Loma Linda, CA (1999-present)
- Children's Disaster Services (Child Life Disaster Relief), trained volunteer (April 2016)
- SIMS team member at Universidad Adventista de Bolivia, providing health fairs and teddy bear clinics (March 2015)
- Family Grief Support Group/Workshop, Clinical Supervisor, Behavioral Health Institute (2012-2014)
- Health Fair, Loma Linda, CA (2010-2011)