Assistant Professor, Counseling and Family Sciences
Director of Clinical Training, Marital and Family Therapy Programs
Department of Counseling and Family Sciences
Loma Linda University, Griggs Hall, Office 106
11065 Campus St., Loma Linda, CA 92350
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Marital and Family Therapy - Loma Linda University, 2014
- MS, Marital and Family Therapy - Loma Linda University, 2004
Areas of Specialization
- Caregivers and chronic illness
- Intersectional justice, health equity, and wellness
- Person of the therapist and self-care
- Black and brown women's leadership in academia
- Qualitative research
Professional Licenses and Memberships
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT), 2011
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor
- American Family Therapy Academy (AFTA)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Willis, M., Jagasia, J., & Robinson-Perez, A. (2021). Black and Brown Women Fostering Authentic Activism in Counseling Programs Amid Social Unrest. In Rodriguez, S & Brown, K. (Eds.), Black and Brown Leadership and the Promotion of Change in an Era of Social Unrest. (pp. 149-183). Hershey PA: IGI Global.
- Brown, K., Willis, M., et al. (2022). Creating Equitable Spaces: Improving Schools Through the Lens of Diverse Voices. American Educational Research Association. San Diego, California.
- Moore, D. & Willis M. (2020). Starting a Practice: What I wish I would have been taught in School. Professional Development presentation for the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy. Orlando, Florida.
- Willis, M., Jonathan, N., & Seshardri, G. (2019). Legacy Narratives to Promote Familial Healing in Alzheimer’s. Presented at the meeting of the American Family Therapy Academy. Oakland, CA.
- Willis, M., Jonathan, N., & Seshardri, G. (2019). Minority Professionals Healing Through Social Attunement. Presented at the meeting of the American Family Therapy Academy. Oakland, CA.
- Cowdery, R., Jonathan, N., Seshardri, G. & Willis, M. (2018). LGBTQ Youth in Foster Care and Issues around Ambiguous Loss and Relational Connections. Paper presented at the meeting of the National Council of Family Relations. San Diego, CA.
- AAMFT, Election Council (2020-present)
- SAMHSA/AAMFT Minority Fellowship, Advisory Board (2020-present)