The amount of care and effort that goes into the success and welfare of students’ education and well-being is unparalleled. Being a part of the LLU experience has set a standard of excellence toward integrating spirituality/religiosity and academics with the unified goal "To Make Man Whole."
- Application Deadline: Applicants are reminded that all application materials, including transcripts and letters of recommendation, must be submitted by December 1. Therefore, applicants are strongly encouraged to request that their transcripts be sent to LLU as early as possible in the application process, and that they provide ample time to recommenders to submit their letters of recommendation.
The following documents are required in order to process your application to the Department of Psychology, School of Behavioral Health, Loma Linda University. Please note that all required documents must be received by the School of Behavioral Health by December 1.
- Signed and completed online application form.
- Application fee: Currently waived.
- Official transcripts sent directly from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- Three letters of recommendation submitted online (preferably from current or previous instructors).
- Personal statement: Required for 2024-2025 applicants.
- Curriculum vitae (CV): Required for 2024-2025 applicants.
- TOEFL scores (international applicants):
- Please complete one online application for the doctoral degree of your choice.
- Complete the online application form. Be sure to include all information requested; you may also provide additional information that you feel would be useful in evaluating your qualifications.
- Again, please do not mail your correspondence to any other department, program, or school as it may cause a delay in the processing of your application.
- Transcripts should be mailed to (School Code 4062): Admissions Processing, Loma Linda University, 11139 Anderson St., Loma Linda, CA 92350.
- Letters of recommendation on letterhead can be emailed to email@example.com.
In addition to Loma Linda University and School of Behavioral Health and the Faculty of Graduate Studies admissions requirements, the following minimum criteria are preferable to be considered for a pre-admission interview:
- A bachelor's degree in psychology is preferred, but bachelor's degrees in other areas are considered.
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale or a master's degree GPA of 3.3 or higher from a regionally accredited graduate program.
- Structured pre-admission interview by invitation: The psychology department requires a structured pre-admissions interview.
- Recommendation letters: Three letters of recommendation from professionals unrelated to the applicant and qualified to assess the applicant’s potential for graduate education. A minimum of two letters are preferred from current or previous professors.
Any exceptions to the established GPA minimum criteria, or any other admissions criteria, are made at faculty discretion and grounded on faculty’s overall assessment of the applicant and his/her credentials (e.g., demonstrated record of scholarship and/or specialized research training, strength of the applicant's prior academic training/institution, strength of applicant’s letters of recommendation, and previous clinical experience).
Students accepted into the doctoral program who have previously completed graduate course work may request transfer credit in accordance with department, School, and University policy. Please contact the Chair of the department's Academic Affairs Committee for further information if you wish to request transfer credit.
Each year the deadline for applications is December 1. Applications are reviewed by the faculty in January, and we typically invite outstanding candidates for an on-campus interview that is usually held in late February or early March. Notification of acceptance into the program is usually provided within two weeks of the interview day and applicants have until April 15 to make a decision about accepting an offer to enroll in the program. Applicants are reminded that all application materials, including transcripts and letters of recommendation, must be submitted by December 1. Therefore, applicants are strongly encouraged to request that their transcripts be sent to LLU as early as possible in the application process, and that they provide ample time to recommenders to submit their letters of recommendation.
Clinical Psychology (PhD and PsyD)