The Monte Butler way:
• Mental — social work/research, astronomy, quantum physics, physics of counter-steering two-wheeled vehicles, horology, and hard science fiction.
• Physical — road cycling, resistance training, muscle relaxation, stretching, walking, mountain biking, and doing my own yard work.
• Social — service, Pond Digger MTB Group, Psychology and Social Work Department Dream Team, my cherished life partner (Lisa), and two grown sons (John and Luke).
• Spiritual — exploration of theology, soteriology, theodicy, leadership in the Branson Legacy Sabbath School, and the acceptance of undeserved grace and forgiveness.
Professor, Social Work and Social Ecology
Department of Social Work and Social Ecology, Office 201F
Loma Linda University
1898 Business Center Dr., San Bernardino, CA 92408
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Social Work - University of Utah, 2003
- MSW, Social Work - University of Utah, 1990
- Graduate Certificate of Gerontology - University of Utah, 1990
Areas of Specialization
- Social work administration
Current Research Projects
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- Butler, M. D. "The $74,973 question about Medicare." The Senior Scene (2023, February).
- Butler, M. D. "Opt-Out Providers and the $74,973 Question." Idaho Senior News (2022, December).
- Butler, M. D. "Opt-Out Providers and the $74,973 Question." Montana Senior News (2022, December).
- Butler, M. D. "The $74,973 Question." Senior Reporter of OC (2022, November).
- Butler, M. D. (2019) The $74,973 question: Are Medicare beneficiaries informed users of private medical care contracts? Journal of Gerontological Social Work 62(1), 4–15.
- Butler, M.D. "Poverty and a Living Wage - Adding Things Up (Part 2)." Roy Branson Legacy Sabbath School. Loma Linda, CA. December 28, 2019.
- Butler, M.D. "Poverty and a Living Wage - Adding Things Up (Part 1)." Roy Branson Legacy Sabbath School. Loma Linda, CA. December 21, 2019.
- Napa Valley College Human Services Advisory Board
- ALDEA Treatment Foster Care Program "Foster Parent University," Volunteer Coordinator
- Get Out the Vote: General Election and Shuttle Service Project
- COPE Family Resource Center, Volunteer Home Visitor
- Napa County (Child Protective Services) Citizen Review Panel
- PUC Social Work Program Angwin Food Pantry, Founder and Manger (2006-2014)
- PUC SDA Church Christmas Tree Family Project, Project Coordinator (2005-2013)