Executive Associate Chair, Social Work and Social Ecology
Professor, Social Work and Social Ecology
Director, Master of Social Work (MSW), Criminal Justice MS, Gerontology MS Programs, and Play Therapy Certificate
Department of Social Work and Social Ecology, Office 201A
Loma Linda University
1898 Business Center Dr., San Bernardino, CA 92408
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Clinical Psychology - Loma Linda University, 1999
- Master of Social Work - Loma Linda University, 2004
- Trauma Resiliency Model - Certified Trainer
- Community Resiliency Model - Certified Trainer
Areas of Specialization
- Child mental health
- Child trauma
- Adolescent self-harm
Professional Memberships and Licenses
- Licensed Psychologist - State of California, 2001
- American Psychological Association
- National Association of Social Workers
- Council on Social Work Education
- Association for Play Therapy
- Smith, A., Freeman, K., Montgomery, S., Vermeersch, D., & James, S. (2018). Executive functioning outcomes among adolescents receiving dialectical behavior therapy. Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal, 32., DOI 10.1007/s10560-018-0578-9.
- Freeman, K., James, S., Kline, P. K., Mayo, D., Montgomery, S. (2015). Outpatient Dialectical Behavior Therapy for adolescents engaged in deliberate self-harm: Conceptual and methodological considerations. Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal, doi:10.1007/s10560-015-0412-6.
- Freeman, K. & Miller-Karas, E. (2015). Working with children who have experienced trauma: A developmental perspective. In Building resilience to trauma: The trauma and community resiliency models (pp. 66-91). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Buckles, B., Freeman, K. (2019, May). Increasing human capital through social justice: Advances in global mental health education and practice. Poster presented at the annual Global Awareness Society International (GASI) conference, Marrakech, Morocco.
- Gaede, D., Arechiga, A., Buckles, B., Freeman, K., Montgomery S., Acosta, E., & Turay, P. (2017, November). Expanding post-Ebola resiliency and recovery through faith communities. Poster presented at the annual American Public Health Association (APHA) conference, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Gaede, D., Buckles, B., Freeman, K., & Arechiga, A. (2017, November). Community resiliency skills dissemination: Delivery of effective community-based mental health services. Paper presented at the annual American Public Health Association (APHA) conference, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Villalpando, L., Alido, A., Mendez. A., Bryan, C., Montgomery, S., Ballinger, R., & Freeman, K. (2017, November). Predictors of DBT-A treatment completion among self-harming adolescents. Poster presented at the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, San Diego, California.
- Herman, S., Freeman, K., Distelberg, B., & James, S. (2016, October). Changes in clinical functioning among adolescents who self-harm with and without a history of psychiatric hospitalization. Paper to be presented at the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, New York, New York.
- Herman, S., Freeman, K., Distelberg, B., Mayo, D., & James, S. (2016, September). Gender differences in treatment outcomes using Dialectical Behavior Therapy to treat self-harming adolescents. Poster to be presented at the National Conference in Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, Lawrence, KS.
- Freeman, K., Buckles, B., Heredia-Miller, F., & Miller-Karas, E. (2015, October). Community resiliency training for Filipino social workers and volunteers following typhoon Yolanda. Paper submitted for presentation at the meeting of the Council on Social Work Education, Denver, Colorado.
- James, S., Smith, A., Freeman, K. & Morgan, J. (2015, January). Changes in clinical functioning among adolescents engaged in deliberate self-harm. Paper presented at the meeting of the Society for Social Work and Research, New Orleans, LA.
- Loma Linda University International Behavioral Health Trauma Team (2004-present)
- San Bernardino County ACEs Steering Committee, Member (2016-present)
- National Alliance for Drug Endangered Children, National Trainer and Child Development Committee Member (2003-2010)
- California Alliance for Drug Endangered Children, Trainer and Task-Force Member (2003-2010)
- Substance Abuse Strategic Planning Council of San Bernardino County, Member (2004-2008)
- Hospice of the Valleys, Executive Board Member/Secretary and Board Member (2003-2005)