Professor, Social Work and Social Ecology
Director, Social Policy and Social Research PhD Program
Department of Social Work and Social Ecology, Office 201G
Loma Linda University
1898 Business Center Dr., San Bernardino, CA 92408
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Sociology - State University of New York, Buffalo, 1987
- Master of Social Work (emphasis in Clinical Social Work) - Western Michigan University, 1977
Areas of Specialization
- Race and ethnic studies
- Critical theory
- Latino/a issues
- Community practice
- Program evaluation
- Social justice practice
Professional Memberships and Licenses
- Council on Social Work Education
- National Association of Social Workers
- Group for the Advancement of Doctoral Education in Social Work
- Society for Social Work Research
- Nakaoka, S. and Ortiz, L. (2018) Examining Racial Microaggressions as a Tool for Transforming Social Work Education: The Case for Critical Race Pedagogy. Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work.
- Ortiz, L. (2016) On the Road to Arivaca: A Prose Reflection on a Meeting. Reflections: Narratives of Professional Helping.
- Calvo, R., Ortiz, L., Padilla, Y. C., Waters, M. C., Lubben, J., Egmont, W., Rosales, R., Figuereo, V., Cano, M., Villa, P. (2015). Achieving equal opportunity and justice: the integration of Latino/a immigrants into American society (Grand Challenges for Social Work Initiative Working Paper No. 20). Cleveland, OH: American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare.
- Ortiz, Larry, Villa, Patricia, Bliss, Walleska, (2015) Integrating Promotoras in Front Line Mental Health Care: Preliminary Report for El Sol Neighborhood Educational Center, San Bernardino, CA.
- Ortiz, L. (2014). Latino migration to Protestantism: A historical, socio-cultural, ecclesiastical analysis. Journal of Sociology & Social Welfare, 41(3), 23-48.
- Ortiz, L., Villa, P., Montgomery, S., & Stephenson, J. Access is not Utilization: Exploring Latino Cultural Capital for Integrative Health Care. Presented at the 2016 62nd Annual Program Meeting (APM). November 3 – 6, 2016. Atlanta, GA.
- Baek. K. & Ortiz, L. Korean Mental Health Perspective and Experiences in the United States. Presented at the 2016 62nd Annual Program Meeting (APM). November 3 – 6, 2016. Atlanta, GA.
- Nakaoka, S. & Ortiz, L. _______ Like Me: Teaching Social Justice and Diversity to Students of Color. Presented at the 2016 62nd Annual Program Meeting (APM). November 3 – 6, 2016. Atlanta, GA.
- Villa, P. & Ortiz, L. Integrating promotoras in frontline mental health care. Culture as an Anchor in Preventing and Reducing Health Disparities, Southwest Interdisciplinary Research Center (SIRC) 13th Annual Conference, Phoenix, AZ, April 8, 2016.
- Ortiz, L., Montgomery, S., Villa, P., Stiel, L. Community-Based Participant Action Research and Evaluation: A Bottom-Up Approach to Inquiry. Presented at the 2015 61st Annual Program Meeting (APM). October 15 – 18, 2015. Denver, CO
- Dettlaff, A., Calvo, R., Ortiz, L., Edgemont, W. The Impact of Immigration on Social Work Education. Presented at the 2015 61st Annual Program Meeting (APM). October 15 – 18, 2015. Denver, CO.
- Calvo, R., Ortiz, L. Godenzi, A., & Baek, K. Latinos in Social Work Education: A Call for Action. Presented at the 2015 61st Annual Program Meeting (APM). October 15 – 18, 2015. Denver, CO.
- Ortiz, L, Montgomery, S., Villa, P., & Jackson, V. (2014). Teaching Empowerment Evaluation: Concepts and Examples. Presented at the 2014 Annual Program Meeting (APM). The APM October 23–26, 2014 in Tampa, FL.
- Ortiz, L., Hernandez, S. (2013). A Practice Model for Social and Personal Transformation. Presented at the 2013 Annual Program Meeting (APM). The APM October 28 –31, 2013 in Dallas, TX.
- Commission of Educational Policy, CSWE (2016-2019)
- Program evaluation for The Open Door of San Bernardino (2016-present)
- Samaritans of Tucson (2008-present)
- Program evaluation for SHIELDS for Families (2006-2016)
- LLU International Behavioral Health Trauma Team: consultation trip to Bolivia (2015)