Professor, Social Work and Social Ecology
Department of Social Work and Social Ecology, Office 202C
Loma Linda University
1898 Business Center Dr., San Bernardino, CA 92408
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Social Policy and Social Research - Loma Linda University, 2013
- MBA, Health Care Administration - Loma Linda University, 2008
- MPH, Global Health - Loma Linda University, 2006
- Certificate of Humanitarian Assistance - Loma Linda University, 2006
Areas of Specialization
- Psychosocial needs of populations affected by political violence
- Stigma, prejudice, racial, and religious discrimination
- Immigrant and refugee acculturation, adjustment, identity, and resiliency
- Mental health help-seeking behaviors
Current Research Projects
- Alemi, Q., Panter-Brick, C., Oriya, S., Ahmady, M., Alimi, A., Faiz, H., . . . Ventevogel, P. (2023). Afghan mental health and psychosocial well-being: Thematic review of four decades of research and interventions. BJPsych Open, 9(4), E125. doi:10.1192/bjo.2023.502. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjo.2023.502
- Alemi, Q., & Stempel, C. (2023). Examining the effect of perceived group norms on the indirect relationship between intergroup contact and anti-Muslim prejudice among white Americans. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 95, 101814. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2023.101814
- Siddiq, H., Alemi, Q., & Lee, E. (2023). A Qualitative Inquiry of Older Afghan Refugee Women’s Individual and Sociocultural Factors of Health and Health Care Experiences in the United States. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 34(2), 143-150. https://doi.org/10.1177/10436596221149692
- Malika, N., Van Dyk, T. R., Alemi, Q., Belliard, J. C., Fisher, C., Ortiz, L., & Montgomery, S. (2023). What's keeping kids up at night? How psychosocial stressors exacerbate the relationship between sleep and mental health. Public Health Challenges, 2(2), e95. https://doi.org/10.1002/puh2.95
- Alemi, Q., Stempel, C., Montgomery, S., et al. (2021). Prevalence and Social-Ecological Correlates of Intimate Partner Violence in a Conflict Zone—Evidence From the 2015 Afghanistan Demographic and Health Survey. Violence Against Women. https://doi.org/10.1177/10778012211051398.
- Alemi, Q., Mefom, E., Montgomery. S., Koga, P.M. Acculturative stress, stigma, and mental health challenges: emic perspectives from Somali young adults in San Diego county's 'Little Mogadishu'. Ethnicity & Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/13557858.2021.1910930.
- Fisher, C., Ortiz, L., Alemi, Q., & Malika, N. (2020). Congregations serving homeless populations: examining predictive factors and policy implications. Social Work Research. https://doi.org/10.1093/swr/svaa016.
- Alemi, Q., Stempel, C., Shabaik, H., & Kim. (2020). Refugees and COVID-19: achieving a comprehensive public health response. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.20.271080.
- Alemi, Q., Stempel, C., & Montgomery, S. (2020). Prevalence and social determinants of tobacco use in Afghanistan. International Health. DOI: 10.1093/inthealth/ihaa010.
- Siddiq Shabaik, H., Pavlish, C., Alemi, Q., & Lee, E. (2020). Beyond Resettlement: Sociocultural Factors Influencing Breast and Colorectal Cancer Screening among Afghan Refugee Women. Journal of Cancer Education. DOI: 10.1007/s13187-020-01822-1.
- Siddiq, H., Alemi, Q., Mentes, J. Pavlish, C., & Lee, E. (2020). Preventive cancer screening among resettled refugee women from Muslim-majority countries: a systematic review. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. doi:10.1007/s10903-019-00967-6.
- Alemi, Q., & Stempel, C. (2019). Effect of HIV knowledge on reducing stigmatizing attitudes towards PLHIV in Afghanistan. Findings from the 2015 Afghanistan Demographic and Health Survey. International Health. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/inthealth/ihz013.
- Alemi, Q., Montgomery, S., Smith, V., Stempel, C., Koga, P.M., Taylor, B., & Fisher, C. (2018). Examining help-seeking patterns within modern and traditional resources for support in Afghanistan. Intervention, 16(3), 215-221.
- Alemi, Q., Smith, V., Montgomery, S., & Stempel, C. (2018). What’s keeping some from seeking asylum? A field report exploring determinants and implications for fostering a social contract for young people in Afghanistan. Journal of International Development. DOI: 10.1002/jid.3401.
- Baek, K. Mann, S. K., Alemi, Q., et al. (2018). Impact of heart disease risk factors, respiratory illness, mastery, and quality of life on the health status of individuals living near a major railyard in Southern California. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(2), 2765.
- Alemi, Q., & Stempel, C. (2018). Discrimination and distress among Afghan refugees in northern California: The moderating role of pre-and post-migration factors. PloS ONE, 13(5), e0196822.
- Alemi, Q., Montgomery, S., & Stempel. (2018). A qualitative study exploring the psychosocial needs of undocumented Afghan migrants in Istanbul, Turkey. Societies, 8(2), 22.
- Alemi, Q., Stempel, C., Koga, P.M., et al. (2018). Risk and protective factors associated with the mental health of young adults in Kabul, Afghanistan. BMC Psychiatry, 18(71).
- Stempel, C. & Alemi, Q. (2018). Economic integration of Afghan refugees in the US, 1980–2015. WIDER Working Paper 2018/49. Helsinki: UNU-WIDER.
- Stempel, C., & Alemi, Q. (2020). White identities and political positions: in-group favoritism or animus towards racial outgroups? Pacific Sociological Association. Eugene, OR.
- Alemi, Q. (2019, December). Towards effective tobacco control policy in Afghanistan: insights from the 2015 Demographic and Health Survey. Institute for Health Policy & Leadership, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA.
- Alemi, Q. (2019, July). Discrimination and distress among Afghan refugees in northern California: The moderating role of pre-and post-migration factors. Ulysses Refuge Symposium, University of California Davis, Davis, CA.
- Baek, K., Mann, S. K., Alemi, Q., et al. (2019, November). Factors that impact the mental health of Korean American church leaders in southern California. Poster presented at the meeting of the 147th Annual American Public Health Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Malika, N., Alemi, Q., Montgomery, S., Ortiz, L., & Belliard, J.C. (2019, November). Effect of sleep on severe mental distress as moderated by discrimination, safety and bullying: a cross-sectional study of adolescents in a low-income minority school district. 147th Annual American Public Health Association (APHA) conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Shabaik, H., Lee, E., Pavlish, C., Alemi, Q., & Mentes, J. (2018, November). Perceptions of cancer, screening and prevention among Afghan refugee women. Paper presented at the 146th Annual American Public Health Association (APHA) conference, San Diego, CA.
- Learning Outcomes Committee, Loma Linda University (2017-present)
- Institutional Review Board, Loma Linda University (2014-present)