Assistant Professor, Social Work and Social Ecology
Department of Social Work and Social Ecology, Office 202C
Loma Linda University
1898 Business Center Dr., San Bernardino, CA 92408
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Social Policy and Social Research - Loma Linda University, 2013
- MBA, Health Care Administration - Loma Linda University, 2008
- MPH, Global Health - Loma Linda University, 2006
- Certificate of Humanitarian Assistance - Loma Linda University, 2006
Areas of Specialization
- Conflict-affected populations
- Refugee health
- Discrimination and mental health
- Use of modern and traditional health care delivery systems
- Cultural consensus modeling
- Alemi, Q., Siddiq, H., Baek, K., Sana, H., Stempel, C., Aziz, N., & Montgomery, S. (2017). Effect of perceived discrimination on depressive symptoms in 1st- and 2nd-generation Afghan-Americans. The Journal of Primary Prevention, 1–14.
- Alemi, Q., Stempel, C., Koga, P. M., Smith, V., Danis, D., Baek, K., & Montgomery, S. (2017). Determinants of health care services utilization among first generation Afghan migrants in Istanbul. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14(2), 201.
- Alemi, Q., et al. (2016). Impact of post-migration living difficulties on the mental health of Afghan migrants residing in Istanbul. International Journal of Population Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/7690697.
- Alemi, Q., Weller, S.C., James, S., & Montgomery, S. (2016). Afghan refugee explanatory model of depression: exploring core cultural beliefs and gender variations. Medical Anthropology Quarterly, doi: 10.1111/maq.12296
- Alemi, Q., James, S., & Montgomery, S. (2016). Contextualizing Afghan refugee views of depression through narratives of trauma, resettlement stress, and coping. Transcultural Psychiatry, 56(5), 630–653.
- Alemi, Q., James, S., Siddiq, H., Montgomery, S. (2015). "Correlates and predictors of psychological distress among Afghan refugees in San Diego County." International Journal of Culture & Mental Health, 8(3), 274–288.
- Alemi, Q., James, S., Cruz, R., Zepeda, V., & Racadio, M. (2014). Psychological distress in Afghan refugees: a mixed-method systematic review. Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health, 16(6):1247–61.
- James, S., Alemi, Q., & Zepeda, V. (2013). Effectiveness and implementation of evidence-based practices in residential care settings. Children and Youth Services Review, 35:642–56.
- Alemi, Q., Monice, S., Stiel, L., Montgomery, S. (2015). Evaluating the effectiveness of an educational program aimed at improving healthy decisions among Native youth. Presented at 143rd American Public Health Association (APHA) conference, Chicago, IL.
- Alemi, Q. (2015). Mental health in Afghan diaspora communities. Presented at 1st Afghan-American Conference, Mental Health Component, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA.
- Alemi, Q., & Luna, A. (2014). "Exploring gender differences in depression beliefs among Afghan refugees: an application of the Cultural Consensus Model." Presented at 17th American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences (AABSS) conference, Las Vegas, NV
- James, S., Alemi, Q., & Zepeda, V. (2013). The effectiveness and implementation of evidence-based practices in residential care settings. Presented at 57th Conference of Children’s Residential Centers, New York.
- Learning Outcomes Committee, Loma Linda University (2017-present)
- Institutional Review Board, Loma Linda University (2014-present)