Associate Professor, Social Work and Social Ecology
Department of Social Work and Social Ecology, Office 202C
Loma Linda University
1898 Business Center Dr., San Bernardino, CA 92408
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Social Policy and Social Research - Loma Linda University, 2013
- MBA, Health Care Administration - Loma Linda University, 2008
- MPH, Global Health - Loma Linda University, 2006
- Certificate of Humanitarian Assistance - Loma Linda University, 2006
Areas of Specialization
- Psychosocial needs of conflict-affected populations
- Discrimination, prejudice, and stigma
- Modern and traditional health care delivery systems
- Alemi, Q., Montgomery, S., Smith, V., Stempel, C., Koga, P.M., Taylor, B., & Fisher, C. (2018). Examining help-seeking patterns within modern and traditional resources for support in Afghanistan. Intervention, 16(3), 215-221.
- Alemi, Q., Smith, V., Montgomery, S., & Stempel, C. (2018). What’s keeping some from seeking asylum? A field report exploring determinants and implications for fostering a social contract for young people in Afghanistan. Journal of International Development. DOI: 10.1002/jid.3401.
- Baek, K. Mann, S. K., Alemi, Q., et al. (2018). Impact of heart disease risk factors, respiratory illness, mastery, and quality of life on the health status of individuals living near a major railyard in Southern California. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(2), 2765.
- Alemi, Q., & Stempel, C. (2018). Discrimination and distress among Afghan refugees in northern California: The moderating role of pre-and post-migration factors. PloS ONE, 13(5), e0196822.
- Alemi, Q., Montgomery, S., & Stempel. (2018). A qualitative study exploring the psychosocial needs of undocumented Afghan migrants in Istanbul, Turkey. Societies, 8(2), 22.
- Alemi, Q., Stempel, C., Koga, P.M., et al. (2018). Risk and protective factors associated with the mental health of young adults in Kabul, Afghanistan. BMC Psychiatry, 18(71).
- Stempel, C. & Alemi, Q. (2018). Economic integration of Afghan refugees in the US, 1980–2015. WIDER Working Paper 2018/49. Helsinki: UNU-WIDER.
- Alemi, Q., Siddiq, H., Baek, K., Sana, H., Stempel, C., Aziz, N., & Montgomery, S. (2017). Effect of perceived discrimination on depressive symptoms in 1st- and 2nd-generation Afghan-Americans. The Journal of Primary Prevention, 1–14.
- Alemi, Q., Stempel, C., Koga, P. M., Smith, V., Danis, D., Baek, K., & Montgomery, S. (2017). Determinants of health care services utilization among first generation Afghan migrants in Istanbul. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14(2), 201.
- Alemi, Q., et al. (2016). Impact of post-migration living difficulties on the mental health of Afghan migrants residing in Istanbul. International Journal of Population Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/7690697.
- Alemi, Q., Weller, S.C., James, S., & Montgomery, S. (2016). Afghan refugee explanatory model of depression: exploring core cultural beliefs and gender variations. Medical Anthropology Quarterly, doi: 10.1111/maq.12296
- Alemi, Q., James, S., & Montgomery, S. (2016). Contextualizing Afghan refugee views of depression through narratives of trauma, resettlement stress, and coping. Transcultural Psychiatry, 56(5), 630–653.
- Alemi, Q., James, S., Siddiq, H., Montgomery, S. (2015). "Correlates and predictors of psychological distress among Afghan refugees in San Diego County." International Journal of Culture & Mental Health, 8(3), 274–288.
- Alemi, Q., James, S., Cruz, R., Zepeda, V., & Racadio, M. (2014). Psychological distress in Afghan refugees: a mixed-method systematic review. Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health, 16(6):1247–61.
- Alemi, Q., Monice, S., Stiel, L., Montgomery, S. (2015). Evaluating the effectiveness of an educational program aimed at improving healthy decisions among Native youth. Presented at 143rd American Public Health Association (APHA) conference, Chicago, IL.
- Alemi, Q. (2015). Mental health in Afghan diaspora communities. Presented at 1st Afghan-American Conference, Mental Health Component, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA.
- Alemi, Q., & Luna, A. (2014). "Exploring gender differences in depression beliefs among Afghan refugees: an application of the Cultural Consensus Model." Presented at 17th American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences (AABSS) conference, Las Vegas, NV
- Learning Outcomes Committee, Loma Linda University (2017-present)
- Institutional Review Board, Loma Linda University (2014-present)