Qais Alemi, PhD, MPH, MBA
Assistant Professor, Social Work and Social Ecology
Department of Social Work and Social Ecology, Office 202C
Loma Linda University
1898 Business Center Dr., San Bernardino, CA 92408
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Social Policy and Social Research - Loma Linda University, 2013
- MBA, Health Care Administration - Loma Linda University, 2008
- MPH, Global Health - Loma Linda University, 2006
- Certificate of Humanitarian Assistance - Loma Linda University, 2006
Areas of Specialization
- Conflict-affected populations
- Refugee health
- Discrimination and mental health
- Use of modern and traditional health care delivery systems
- Cultural consensus modeling
- Alemi, Q., et al. (2016). Impact of post-migration living difficulties on the mental health of Afghan migrants residing in Istanbul. International Journal of Population Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/7690697.
- Alemi, Q., Weller, S.C., James, S., & Montgomery, S. (2016). Afghan refugee explanatory model of depression: exploring core cultural beliefs and gender variations. Medical Anthropology Quarterly, doi: 10.1111/maq.12296
- Alemi, Q., James, S., & Montgomery, S. (2016). Contextualizing Afghan refugee views of depression through narratives of trauma, resettlement stress, and coping. Transcultural Psychiatry, 56(5), 630–653.
- Alemi, Q., James, S., Siddiq, H., Montgomery, S. (2015). "Correlates and predictors of psychological distress among Afghan refugees in San Diego County." International Journal of Culture & Mental Health, 8(3), 274–288.
- Alemi, Q., James, S., Cruz, R., Zepeda, V., & Racadio, M. (2014). Psychological distress in Afghan refugees: a mixed-method systematic review. Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health, 16(6):1247–61.
- James, S., Alemi, Q., & Zepeda, V. (2013). Effectiveness and implementation of evidence-based practices in residential care settings. Children and Youth Services Review, 35:642–56.
- Alemi, Q., Monice, S., Stiel, L., Montgomery, S. (2015). Evaluating the effectiveness of an educational program aimed at improving healthy decisions among Native youth. Presented at 143rd American Public Health Association (APHA) conference, Chicago, IL.
- Alemi, Q. (2015). Mental health in Afghan diaspora communities. Presented at 1st Afghan-American Conference, Mental Health Component, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA.
- Alemi, Q., & Luna, A. (2014). "Exploring gender differences in depression beliefs among Afghan refugees: an application of the Cultural Consensus Model." Presented at 17th American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences (AABSS) conference, Las Vegas, NV
- James, S., Alemi, Q., & Zepeda, V. (2013). The effectiveness and implementation of evidence-based practices in residential care settings. Presented at 57th Conference of Children’s Residential Centers, New York.
- Alemi, Q., & James, S. (2012). "An era of sacrifice: resettlement stressors and views of depression among Afghan refugees." Presented at 8th International Congress for Qualitative Inquiry, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL.
- Institutional Review Board, Loma Linda University (2014-present)
- Kinzer Rice Award Committee, Loma Linda University (2013-present)