- Now accepting applications for Fall 2023! Apply by 2/15/23.
- All application fees currently waived.
The Social Work (MSW) with Gerontology (MS) program at Loma Linda University equips students to gain solid preparation in the substantive field of social work, together with essential policy studies and services for the aging.
The mission of the combined Master of Social Work and Master of Science in Gerontology at Loma Linda University is to facilitate more efficient completion of two graduate degrees for students with strong interests in, and who are dedicated to, the advanced practice of both social work and gerontology. The master's degree program in social work emphasizes ecological systems, a perspective that focuses on the interaction of a person or system in relation to his/her environment. The master's program in gerontology aims to prepare students to think critically, analytically, and creatively about the challenges of the aging population and older citizens in the contemporary world.
The combination of these two programs has guided the development of the foundation curriculum, professional concentrations, and selection of practicum sites for this dual degree program. This program equips students to make interdisciplinary contributions to the fields of social work and gerontology.
- To prepare student for the provision of clinical services to the geriatric population;
- To prepare students to make interdisciplinary contributions to program development and management;
- To prepare students for positions in geriatric service interventions at the local, state, national, and international levels;
- To prepare students for positions in teaching and research in the area of gerontology.
Please refer to individual program admissions criteria:
Degree Completion Requirements
- Completion of 90 units is required;
- Completion of field practicum requirement;
- Professional Practicum and Seminar: 540 hours;
- Advanced Professional Practicum Seminar: 880 hours;
- Following the completion of the foundation coursework, students are required to pass the master of social work Qualifying Review;
- Completion of research coursework or thesis;
- Completion of Wholeness Portfolio, providing evidence of accomplishments and growing competency in professional practicum experience.